The real beginning was this project in blue, off-white and red: a corner-to-corner piece of crochet, where I use a counted cross stitch pattern (found on the internet, here).
I’ve done pixelated crochet before, as I’ve used the c-2-c-technique, but never in the same piece of work. You might remember my “pixelated cushion”, made using a counted cross stitch pattern, by crocheting tiny, one round, granny squares, joining them as I went.
Having seen a lot of beautiful “corner-to-corner” crochet as of lately, I thought it would be fun to give it a go again, this time in combination with a cross stitch pattern.
If you want to try c-2-c crochet, you’ll find a great tutorial (video) here – even though it’s in Dutch, it’s so well explained visually, that I think anyone would be able to understand.
More tutorials can be found here, here and here.
I loved the aforementioned pattern. A google search request simply using the watermark on the pattern, “Hetti”, and the words “cross stitch patterns” luckily brought me to the designer’s website, and I’m so glad I landed there! What a talented maker she is, and a wonderful sharer too: there are a lot of lovely patterns for all of us to use for free.
I’m enjoying crocheting this “Dutch Delft Blue”-c-2-c, but it’s very time-consuming, and I can only work on it a couple of hours per sitting. However, I’m loving the simplicity of the stitch, liking the stitch definition, and while looking for a rather mindless crochet project to balance things out, a small light bulb went off. How about doing a second c-2-c project using my left over yarn? And so I did.
For a rather control-minded person, it was a bit of a challenge to stick to my own rule of not planning too-too much color wise this time around. Still, I could not resist a little color joke here and there, hence the red-white-and-blue of the Dutch flag, mixed with the royal orange…..:)
It was fun to crochet with a particular yarn, until the very end of it, and start with a new color, no matter whether this was in the middle of a row or not.
Seeing the many, many yarn ends was a bit daunting at first, but to tell you the truth: sewing them in proved to be a good exercise in the mindfullness-department ;), and it didn’t bother me at all.
Not having enough left-over yarn for a real big project, first I thought of turning this project into a cushion cover. But….. all of a sudden I remembered the leather bag handles that had been sitting in my craft room for too long! A bag it was!
I was so impatient to see whether it would look just as pretty as the picture I had in my head, that I kind of raced through the whole process. Which means this is another “ta-dah”-post, because the bag is all done, lining, pockets and all!
She’s a robust bag, more like a shopper actually, and I can’t help myself, but I’m totally in love……..
I can’t wait to take her with me on a special trip tomorrow!
Have a lovely weekend!